NORCECA Women's Olympic Qualification Tournament 2012

Here we write in english only
Awatar użytkownika
dreamer

NORCECA Women's Olympic Qualification Tournament 2012

Post autor: dreamer »

Foreign legion of Coaches in NORCECA women’s teams

TIJUANA, Mexico, May 3, 2012 - Six of the eight head coaches competing at the NORCECA Women’s Olympic Qualification Tournament born in different countries than the ones they are working for in charge of their respective national teams.

This group of experienced skippers looks forward to contribute for the best of the game in the NORCECA Continent.

Canada’s head coach, Arnd Ludwig, is from Germany, Costa Rica is coached by Argentinean Xavier Perales, the American Matt Winkler is at the helm of Honduras, while Mexico lives a new era under the guidance of Estanislao Matias Vachino, who like Perales, was born in Argentina.

On the other hand, Dominican Republic has the Brazilian Marcos Kwiek since 2008 while Trinidad & Tobago has found a leader with Cuba’s born Francisco “Panchy” Cruz. The only exceptions are Cuba with Juan Carlos Gala, and Puerto Rico with David Aleman, who are native coaches.

In this foreign legion, there are those who are setting a blueprint like Ludwig, who after a successful career in his country’s league for a decade, decided to experiment a change.

“I coached a team that won a championship and was always tough to beat. But there was not much money in Germany at that time, so I was looking for a national team, and I started to work with Canada three years ago,” Ludwig said.

“Culture is a little different, but so much different as in Mexico or some other countries like in South America, in fact is very similar in Germany. I think my team is very good, very athletic and I hope to be here for more years.”

In the case of Costa Rica, Argentinean Xavier Perales expresses: “I have five months in charge and I feel great, there are some big challenges like seeing how the players have to divide time between their jobs and their training sessions. We have evolved but for the next tournament I look forward for the next step.”

After many years of successful work by Dominican Republic, this country has achieved many important goals in the American continent and the world in its women’s volleyball program with a South American coach like Marcos Kwiek.

“On the beginning it was a little strange for me, while playing matches against Brazil, but I decided to take this challenge, to know other countries, other cultures, and it was so important,” said Kwiek, who has won a Gold Medal at the Central American and Caribbean Games, and also has reached the podium at Pan Am Cups and NORCECA Championships.

“It is difficult to have an exact description of what I feel, but I have known and interact with very nice people, with the support of the national federation, and I feel like living at home”.

Honduras is for the first time in a major competition with a young team, led by an American coach like Matt Winkler, who was born in the New York area.

“It is fantastic, a total different culture, in a third world country. Athletes are strong and disciplined and no matter where you go. I am excited that in Honduras that even if there is not money, this hasn’t dissuaded the girls from playing and giving their best,” Winkler said.

By the beginning of 2012, Estanislao Vachino arrived to Mexico from Argentina, trying to put in practice the experience acquired in his native country as well as in Brazil.

“Along with the responsibility is an honor to be playing here in a Confederation like NORCECA, and also an Olympic Qualifier is an honor that not everyone, athlete or coach can achieve. I try to live this with joy and keep on learning because you can never stop doing that,” Vachino said.

Finally in Trinidad & Tobago, there is a before and after in the history of Women’s Volleyball since the arrival of Francisco Cruz, who has been a very important mentor of athletes that have achieved the goal of playing in the European Leagues.

Players like Kelly Anne Billingy (who plays in France) as well as Sinead Jack and Channon Thompson, who play at the Bialystock Club in Poland have become the new stars. However they could not play at the Olympic Qualifier.

“Maybe we are not complete at this process, we have three players missing but the girls have grown a lot in the last years, sometimes we struggle for not having the courts or training facilities,” Cruz, who has become a respected personality in Trinidadian sport, said.

Anyway, he feels so proud of being in front of a “very talented and disciplined team that goes to competitions with the goal of improving its performance.”

A proof of that is the case of Captain Krystle Esdelle, who is playing at the qualifier in Tijuana, and is also an iconic player at the Schweriner SC, in the German Bundesliga.

(http://www.norceca.net/May.04.2012_Fore ... 0teams.htm)
...you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...
Awatar użytkownika
dreamer

Re: NORCECA Women's Olympic Qualification Tournament 2012

Canada makes into the Final Four phase

TIJUANA, Mexico, May 2, 2012 – Canada downed Mexico in straight sets (25-17, 25-18, 25-18) to reach the semifinal phase of the NORCECA Women’s Olympic Qualification Tournament where they will meet world No. 9 Dominican Republic next Friday.

It was a well fought match but the taller Canadians capitalized on their size to out-block their opponents 8-3. Both teams served two aces and made the same total of errors with 18.

The Mexicans battled point by point with good defense but couldn’t find ways to stop Canada’s prolific point-producer Sarah Pavan.

The lefty Pavan led all the scorers in the match with 21 points, all via attacks, while Marisa Field and Tammy Mahon added 8 and 7 respectively. Claudia Rios was the best of Mexico with 12 points.

“I am happy with the win today. We were very nervous on playing this quarterfinal, but we are ready to take the next step into the semi finals,” Mahon said.

“We could not make the adjustments and we made mistakes,” Mexico’s Karla Sainz said. “Canada went out to the court and played well, and capitalized on our mistakes.”

“My team played well disciplined today,” Canada’s Coach Arnd Ludwig said. “We were concerned about this match because in the NORCECA tournament we had lost to Mexico. We thought it was going to be tough. Now we have to rest and prepare against Dominican Republic.”

Estanislao Vachino, Coach of Mexico: “It was simple. We had to be tactically accurate with our service level, but we could not find it during the competition. When you are short in height it is complicated. Two weeks ago we had a good level of service, but in this tournament we could not find it. Canada deserved this win.”

(http://www.norceca.net/May.02.2012_Cana ... 0phase.htm)
Awatar użytkownika
dreamer

Puerto Rico to meet Cuba in semifinals

TIJUANA, Mexico, May 2, 2012 – Puerto Rico advanced to a semifinal match against Cuba in the NORCECA Women’s Olympic Qualification Tournament after outclassing Costa Rica in straight sets (25-12. 25-12, 25-9) on Wednesday at Tijuana Multi-Sports Gymnasium.

Puerto Rico’s Coach David Aleman used all his players with the exception of middle blocker Jetzabel Del Valle en route to the easy victory in exactly one hour.

The gap between the two teams was especially wide in the aces department with the winners scoring 13 aces against only 3 by the losers. Puerto Rico also out- blocked the opponents 8-4.

Sarai Alvarez and Yarimar Rosa were the two best scorers of the winners with 15 and 11 points respectively. Stephanie Enright and Shanon Torregrosa each contributed 8 points.

“It is really refreshing to be on the winning track again after last night loss,” Puerto Rico’s Vilmarie Mojica said. “It was a team work and now we have to work on reducing the errors in our next match.”

“Their serves were strong and well located and we couldn’t find the way to make the adjustments,” Costa Rica’s Verania Willis said.

“I am satisfied with our serves today and I think that will be a key in our next match,” Aleman said.

“They improved the level with the match and it was very difficult for us,” Costa Rica’s Coach Xavier Perales said. “Now we must thing in the next phase for our team and to see who’s going to be the next rival.”

(http://www.norceca.net/May.02.2012_Puer ... finals.htm)
Awatar użytkownika
dreamer

Cuba to the title-match for London ticket

TIJUANA, Mexico, May 4, 2012 – Three-time Olympic champions Cuba overcame Puerto Rico in four sets (23-25, 25-17, 25-19, 25-22) to advance to the title-match of the NORCECA Women’s Olympic Qualification Tournament at Tijuana Multi-Sports Gymnasium on Friday.

The winners of the competition will receive a pass to the volleyball tournament of the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Veteran Yanelis Santos and young Yoana Palacios led five Cuban players with double digits in the score charts with 16 and 15 points respectively. Rosanna Giel added 14 including five blocks while Wilma Salas and Leanny Castañeda had 11 and 10.

Cuba led 11-7 the blocks category and also had the edge in serving aces 5-4. The winners gave away 23 points with their errors and benefited from 27 made by the losers.

“It was a good game for both teams,” Cuba’s Yusidey Silie stated. “But at the key moments we played better than them.”

“We started well but in the end we made too many untimely errors,” Puerto Rico’s Vilmarie Mojica said. “Now we want to conclude the tournament well in the match for third place.”

“Our services were the keys for the victory,” Juan Carlos Gala of Cuba said. “We started attacking very well down the middle and finished up with our offense from the corners. It was a tough battle because Puerto Rico has many experienced players and they play good volleyball”.

“It was a close match, especially in the first and last set,” Puerto Rico’s David Aleman said. “At the end the strength of Cuba and their height both were factors. Their serves also did damage and cause many errors.”

(http://www.norceca.net/May.04.2012_Cuba ... ticket.htm)
Awatar użytkownika
dreamer

Dominican Republic trounces Canada, advance to final match

TIJUANA, Mexico, May 4, 2012 – The world-ranked No. 9 Dominican Republic advanced to the final-match of the NORCECA Women’s Olympic Qualification Tournament following an easy 3-0 (25-15, 25-18, 25-15) victory over No. 22 Canada on Friday.

The Dominican side will clash with three-time Olympic champions and currently No. 10 Cuba in the match for a ticket to the volleyball tournament of the 2012 London Olympic Games on Saturday.

The Dominicans dominated the whole match and topped the taller Canadians in blocks 8-1 and had the slight edge in serves 3-2. The winners made 15 errors to 18 by the defeated team.

Bethania De La Cruz led four Dominican players who finished the match in double digits in the score sheets with 14 points, all via attacks.

Veteran Annerys Vargas and the young Lisvel Eve, the team’s middle blockers, each finished with 12 points and 5 and 3 blocks respectively. Gina Mambru tallied 11 points including the last point to seal the victory. Canada’s Sarah Pavan recorded 12 points.

“We did what we were instructed to,” Dominican Republic’s Milagros Cabral said. “We followed our game plan and the objective was to keep focused every second of the match. And we really did it.”

“It was a well executed game by Dominican Republic,” Canada’s Tammy Mahon explained. “They played a great match and I feel a little disappointed. I hope we can come back and finish the tournament playing a good match.”

“It has been our best match of the tournament,” Dominican Republic’s Coach Marcos Kwiek said. “Our relation of block and defense worked almost perfect and we served very well also.”

“Tomorrow’s match against Cuba is a tough one and even though we have players with more experience, that’s a match you have to play also with your heart,” Kwiek added.

“We tried to make some adjustments but they had answers for everything,” Canada’s Arnd Ludwig said. “They didn’t let us to play.”

(http://www.norceca.net/May.04.2012_Domi ... 0match.htm)
ODPOWIEDZ

Wróć do „English”